How Was It For You?
“Newbury ACE Space is a very special venue with an excellent team and a great audience and I really look forward to returning before too long” – Kit Holmes
It has been said that “Kit’s trademark sultry vocals and virtuoso guitar playing have wowed audiences across the UK through extensive touring with the guitar hero, John Etheridge”. Well, we were certainly wowed when that tour was at Arlington Arts and determined to bring Kit back to Newbury headlining in her own right. For her appearance at ACE Space Kit (vocals, guitar, fiddle) is joined by Al Greenwood (guitar).
The Observer described her music as “Macy Gray meets Nick Drake”, and both Bob Harris and Andy Kershaw have featured her on their BBC shows. Recent gigs include: Paul McCartney’s LIPA; the Anne Frank Awards at the BBC; a performance for Bill Bryson and Andy Kershaw and a headline show at the International Guitar Festival of Great Britain. Kit’s third album, Driving into the Blue, which features the legendary double bass player Danny Thompson, was met with high critical acclaim. Expect an enthralling and energetic live performance of “blues-driven roots with a soul sensibility”.
Other ringing endorsements include:-
- “Impressive…a new British guitar heroine” – The Guardian
- “Full of warmth…an absolute delight” – The Observer
- “She’s a world-class player” – All Music Guide
- “Impossible to pigeonhole…Kit’s immense talent and joie de vivre, emanates from everything she does” – Radio 2
- “Possessing an undercurrent of older soul/R&B her songs are hook laden and immediate. A musical kudos that evades many an artist” – Spiral Earth